1801 W. St. Andrews, Midland, MI 48640
Designed by Alden B. Dow FAIA in 1968.

The idea of combining the arts programs and activities under one roof in Midland was discussed as early as 1960. A definite move in that direction was made when interested members of the Midland Art Association and the Midland Little Theatre Guild got together to discuss their housing needs. In 1965, the organization of Midland Center for the Arts was formalized under a preliminary set of rules drawn up by John E. Riecker.

The building was designed by Alden B. Dow. The Construction of the 200,000 square foot building took 1,500 tons of structural steel, 7,000 years of concrete, 20 truckloads of brick and lighting equivalent to 27,000 100-watt bulbs. It is situated on “Discovery Square”, a name that Alden B. Dow had given to the area which includes Dow Gardens, the Grace A. Dow Memorial Library and the Michigan Molecular Institute.

The facility includes:
A 1,500 -seat Auditorium
A 400-seat Little Theatre
A 97-seat Lecture-Recital Hall
The Hall of Ideas- permanent interactive exhibits
Museum exhibit areas on the fourth level
Art Studios & Rehearsal Rooms

Features

Location

CLOSED July 3rd and 4th. The Home and Studio phone lines are down. If you need to contact us please email info@abdow.org and we will return messages as soon as we can. Single Party Tours and Public Tours by advanced reservation scheduled to open June 29th.  2020 Summer Camps are canceled. See Summer Camp Page for more information.
close