The Herbert H. Dow II Residence by Alden B. Dow
Herbert H. Dow II was the grandson of the founder of the Dow Chemical Company. He began a 39-year tenure with the company in 1953 at the age of 25, progressing through a number of positions and eventually becoming Corporate Secretary, Vice President, and member of the Board of Directors. He also served as President of the Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow Foundation for over 25 years.
Alden B. Dow began designing a home for his young nephew Herbert in late 1952 and finished the plans in early 1953. The one-story house is set in a deeply-wooded lot with its own pond. The tan brick exterior is topped by a low, slightly-pitched roof. Two massive chimneys rise above the roofline.
The floor plan follows that of an elongated L, with the main entrance at the outer junction of the two wings. A brick paved entry leads to a large open living room to the left. A raised brick fireplace is opposite five floor to ceiling windows that begin at the ridge line and follow the slant of the roof. The brick walls of the living room are continued in the dining room, which also has a brick floor. A gallery off the dining room leads to the master bedroom with adjoining dressing room and bathroom. Two more bedrooms share a bath in this wing.
Following the hallway back to the main entrance, the other wing contains the fourth and fifth bedrooms, two additional bathrooms, kitchen, scullery, and service hall leading to the garage. A 24 foot by 54 foot game room with spiral staircase is located in the basement. Interior and exterior additions and modifications were designed by Mr. Dow and his firm from the early 1960’s into the 1980’s.