The Henry McMorran Memorial Auditorium and Sports Arena by Alden B. Dow

Located in the hub of Port Huron’s downtown, the Henry McMorran Memorial Auditorium was designed by Alden B. Dow in 1956, followed by the Sports Arena in 1957.  The Theatre has 1157 seats and features a stage curtain designed by Mr. Dow and similar to the one found in the Game Room of the Home […]

Out of the Archives: Original Sketches and Small Drawings by Alden B. Dow

Now through the end of February, visitors to the Alden B. Dow Home and Studio will have the opportunity to view an extensive selection of rarely-seen original sketches and small drawings on display in the Second Drafting Room.  From a very early age, Alden B. Dow was always drawing, his sister Dorothy Dow Arbury recalled.  […]

The Charles W. Bachman Residence by Alden B. Dow

  The Charles W. Bachman Residence in East Lansing was designed by Alden B. Dow in 1936.  Charles Bachman was the football coach for Michigan State College from 1933 until 1946.  The two-story L-shaped structure is situated at the top of a rise in the property.  The asymmetric design contrasts large solid-white walls with windows […]

The Louis P. Butenschoen Residence by Alden B. Dow

Louis Butenschoen joined the Dow Chemical Company in 1935 as a member of the sales staff.  During his career, he would develop the sales market for dry cleaning solvents and eventually became the manager of the new solvents unit.  In 1941, he contacted Alden B. Dow to design a house for his family.  A color […]

United Methodist Church of the Dunes by Alden B. Dow

Alden B. Dow began the design of the Methodist Church of the Dunes in 1957 and completed the working drawings in 1960.  Construction bids amounting to $276,468 were accepted and the ground-breaking ceremony was held on April 2, 1960.  The completion of the church was celebrated in February of 1961. The architect took full advantage […]

The George Greene Residence, Midland, Michigan by Alden B. Dow

In the spring of 1936, Alden B. Dow prepared drawings of a residence for George Greene, a plant engineer with the Dow Chemical Company.  Construction of the 1600 square foot house began in June 1936 and was completed in March 1937 at a final cost of $16, 983.  It was the second of three houses […]

Messiah Lutheran Church, Bay City, Michigan by Alden B. Dow

Messiah Lutheran Church was one of 11 religious structures designed by Alden B. Dow in the 1950’s. He was selected by the church Building Committee in 1954, one year after completing another Lutheran church, St. John’s, in his home town of Midland. Composed of brick and arranged around a landscaped courtyard, the building features three […]

The Dr. Charles MacCallum Residence by Alden B. Dow

IN THE ARCHIVES: The Dr. Charles MacCallum Residence In the spring of 1935, Dr. Charles MacCallum, Midland’s only physician, asked Alden B. Dow to design a residence for the sloping lot he purchased from Mr. Dow just north of the Midland Country Club. The initial rendering showed a low, one-story design placed on the crest […]

First Presbyterian Church of Dearborn, Michigan by Alden B. Dow

The selection of an architect for a new building for the First Presbyterian Church of Dearborn took more than a year of research by its Building Committee. Thirty-five architectural firms submitted answers to questionnaires. On January 21, 1960, the congregation approved the Committee’s choice of “a recognized leader in church design,” Alden B. Dow, as […]

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop
    Call Now