United Methodist Church of the Dunes by Alden B. Dow

Alden B. Dow began the design of the Methodist Church of the Dunes in 1957 and completed the working drawings in 1960.  Construction bids amounting to $276,468 were accepted and the ground-breaking ceremony was held on April 2, 1960.  The completion of the church was celebrated in February of 1961. The architect took full advantage […]

The First United Methodist Church by Alden B. Dow

Occupying an entire city block on a busy corner of Main Street in downtown Midland, the First Methodist Church was designed by Alden B. Dow in 1947.  “The architecture of this church, he wrote, “is to inspire the concept of growth…growth beyond ourselves, beyond walls, beyond this earth.” The church is built around a central courtyard with a […]

St. John’s Lutheran Church by Alden B. Dow

Alden B. Dow regarded St. John’s Lutheran Church on East Carpenter Street in Midland as one of his most significant religious structures.  Designed in 1953, the nave of the church accommodates 600 people with no one in the congregation more than 60 feet away from the center of the altar.  Mr. Dow believed “the symbol […]

Messiah Lutheran Church, Bay City, Michigan by Alden B. Dow

Messiah Lutheran Church was one of 11 religious structures designed by Alden B. Dow in the 1950’s. He was selected by the church Building Committee in 1954, one year after completing another Lutheran church, St. John’s, in his home town of Midland. Composed of brick and arranged around a landscaped courtyard, the building features three […]

First Presbyterian Church of Dearborn, Michigan by Alden B. Dow

The selection of an architect for a new building for the First Presbyterian Church of Dearborn took more than a year of research by its Building Committee. Thirty-five architectural firms submitted answers to questionnaires. On January 21, 1960, the congregation approved the Committee’s choice of “a recognized leader in church design,” Alden B. Dow, as […]

Regina Catholic Girls High School by Alden B. Dow

In 1959, six Dominican Sisters from Adrian traveled to Midland to discuss a proposed Catholic high school for girls with architect Alden B. Dow. A fund raising campaign was launched and ground finally was broken for the new school on Easter Sunday of 1962. Six months later, with the building beginning to take shape, the […]

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop
    Call Now